Ok Micah is graduating to size 3 diapers and I think I’m going to go on a diaper search. I think I’m going to go buy a small package of all the store brand diapers and give them a try then blog about it.
Here are the ones I’ve tried so far:
Sizes Tried: N, 1, 1-2
Best Price I’ve Found: $0.13 / diaper
Likes: These diapers are really soft and gentle on the baby’s skin. These were also the ones they gave us at the hospital. They also have a wetness indicator on the outside of the diaper on sizes N, 1-2, and 2. They hold a lot of urine and doesn’t leak out the sides because when the diaper is full it is still soft and squishy.
Dislikes: I breastfeed my baby so he has that yellow seedy breast milk poop and Pampers Swaddlers doesn’t have that waistband like Huggies or Kirkland does so it goes up his back all the time! They also have this sticky tag that is a little hard on the skin if you don’t put the diaper on right. I bought a big box of size 1-2 and it was pointless because I should’ve just gotten size 2. The size 1-2 is only a tiny bit bigger than their size 1 diaper. Expensive when not on sale or have a coupon.
Neither Like or Dislike: They have this velcro and sticky tag feature. I’m not sure why they use both. The have Sesame Street characters on them.
Huggies Little Snugglers
Sizes Tried: N, 2
Best Price I’ve Found: $0.14 / diaper
Likes: These diapers soft but not like Pampers soft. They have this strechy waistband that keeps poop from going up my baby’s back; however, it still gets there sometimes. They use a really nice resealable velco to keep the diaper shut.
Dislikes: These diapers are stiff so if you don’t put them on right or tight enough, it will leak out the side and up the baby’s back. Even though they’re really good with keeping poop from going up the back, I’ve had problems with poop squirting out the sides especially when my baby poops when he’s sitting down. Also when the diaper is full, it gets really puffy which allows urine to leak out the sides. Expensive when not on sale or have a coupon.
Neither Like or Dislike: These diapers are white and have minimal designs.
Sizes Tried: 1, 1-2
Best Price I’ve Found: ?? Got it as a gift
Likes: I feel like Kirkland diapers are pretty much the same design as Huggies. However, when the diaper is full it doesn’t get as puffy or stiff as the Huggies so not as much urine leaks out the sides. They also have the stretchy waistband which is nice! I’m sure they are probably cheaper than Huggies. I liked them for the most part.
Dislikes: The quality of material of the diaper is slightly less than Huggies but not by much. I don’t have a Costco card so it would be inconvenient for me to buy Kirkland diapers.
Neither Like or Dislike: They don’t have the wetness indicator like the Huggies / Pampers do. They have the same velco strip like Huggies. They also are white and have minimal design.
Any suggestions for what to try next? or Comments about diapers? 🙂 I’m thinking I’ll try Target brand next.
Scott Jarvie was so kind to take our pictures for free. We love his work. THANKS Scott!
11. We went to Deseret Star Playhouse for Dallin’s Birthday
10. We planted our first garden plot and it produced vegetables!
8. We finally used all our gift cards to decorate our apartment on our first anniversary and went out to dinner at Macaroni Grill (using a gift card). Thanks everyone for the wonderful gift cards!
6. May Bo had an internship programming for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (when she was really pregnant!).
5. We got to act as Mary, Joseph, and Baby Jesus in a Live Nativity at This is the Place Heritage Park.
3. Our Friends/Neighbors – We loved having parties, BBQ, playing racquetball, working out, cooking, playing games, and having fun with our old/new friends!
2. Church Callings – We got to be ordinance workers at the Salt Lake Temple. We are currently ward missionaries. Also, Dallin has a calling in the Elder’s Quorum and May Bo has a calling in the Relief Society. Oh and we love home teaching and visiting teaching, of course!
1. Baby Micah was born and everything other good thing that came along with him!
We’ve done two nights of live nativity at This is the Place Heritage Park during their Candlelight Christmas event. It’s been a really neat experience to have our baby laying in a manger. I can’t imagine giving birth to a baby in a stable. There are real animals in the barn: donkey, sheep, pigs, and goats. It’s pretty stinky but we got used to it throughout the night. Can you imagine that the Savior, Jesus Christ was born in such a humble conditions? There wasn’t even room for them in the inn! We have been surprised about how touched some people are to see a live nativity. We’re also very impressed because 99% of the Children who come see the nativity already know the story of the birth of baby Jesus and they know who Jesus Christ is. They love to see the gifts that the wise men brought for Jesus Christ. What a great experience it has been to work with shepherds and wise men. The Spirit was there throughout the night and Micah glowed like an angel. This experience is reminding us that the reason we celebrate Christmas is to remember the birth of Jesus Christ our Lord. Come see us at the live nativity. We’ll be there two more nights Dec 30 and Dec 27 from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm. There’s also plenty of other Christmas activities to do in the park.
We kept forgetting to bring a camera but a nice lady from New Zealand decided to take our picture and email it to us!
I’ve been really wanting to write about my recent pregnancy and birth of our baby but really haven’t had time with school. So I thought today… better late than never right? 🙂
A doula is a labor coach “who is professionally trained to assist a women during childbirth and who may provide support to the family after the baby is born” [Google Web Definition].
Why a doula?
I was really terrified of childbirth but after talking to a few good friends who had really good birth natural experiences, I prayed about what I should do. After praying about it I felt the desire that I wanted to have a natural childbirth. (Now don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against epidurals! If you want one then by all means get one! For me, I was really scared to get an epidural because I didn’t want a big needle poked up my spine or to be paralyzed from the waist down. Who knows… may be one day I’ll overcome my fears and get an epidural.) For those who know me, I am a big wimp when it comes to pain. I have zero pain tolerance. Dallin can poke me and I would say “ouch!” So I knew I had a lot of work to do to prepare for a natural labor. I wanted someone to coach Dallin to help me get through labor without an epidural. I wanted someone who knew hospital procedures and protocols. I wanted someone who could massage me and help me relax during labor. I wanted someone who could teach me different positions I could use during labor. I wanted someone to stay there with me during my labor. I wanted a pain-free labor. And guess what?! I got exactly what I wanted with my doula! Here’s a picture of my doula, me, and Micah right after birth.
I had a OBGYN (a doctor) and hired a doula on the side. A doctor is the person you go to during your pregnancy to get your check ups. He can write you prescriptions, perform lab work, and make sure you’re in good health. A doctor comes to check up on you when you’re in labor at the hospital and usually comes back at the very end when you about to deliver the baby unless there’s a complication. A doctor performs C-sections and other medical labor procedures. A doctor makes all the medical decisions and facilitates the delivery of the baby. A doula does not cross over the medical side of your pregnancy or labor. A doula is there for support emotionally, physically, and helping you achieve your ideal birth usually with a specific birthing method.
What part did my doula play in my childbirth experience?
After I hired my doula, I was in constant contact with her. I would let her know how my pregnancy is going and ask her for her advice on things I was concerned about. She would help me decide when it was appropriate to call the doctor or help me work out my concerns. My doula came for a pre-labor visit to discuss my birth plan and what I wanted during labor. She answered all my “how will I know I’m in labor?” questions and my questions about “what it is like to deliver a baby in a hospital?”. She also helped me draft my birth plan to give to my doctor.
When I was having contractions (aka. birth waves), I stayed in touch with my doula throughout the day. My baby came faster than we thought! The doula helped me decide when to go to the hospital. My water broke at around 10:30 pm at home. The doula met us at the hospital. When she came, it made the world of difference. She helped me get in comfortable positions. The doula and Dallin gave me pressed on various parts of my body like my lower back and hips to help equalize the pressure of the birthing waves. It felt so good and such a relief. She helped me bounce on a birthing ball to dilate faster and she also helped me with different positions to help me push the baby out. The doula helped me do mother-directed pushing which also felt really good to be in control of the delivery of the baby. She also gave me emotional support and lots of encouragement. She helped me mentally feel like I can do it! It was like running a race and she was there to keep me running! After she helped us get our bags out of the car and took lots of pictures for us which was really nice because Dallin and I were busy looking at our new baby! My doula helped me achieve my natural childbirth and it was sure worth it! Right after the baby came out my body stopped working and it felt normal again. In fact, it felt better than normal because I was on an adrenaline rush at 4:00 am in the morning! I was able to walk, eat, and go to the bathroom by myself. I have to thank my doula for helping me overcome my fears and also one of the hardest things I’ve ever done in my life.
How do you get a doula?
I just searched online and asked for references. You go through an interview process with as many doulas as you want. Interviews are usually free and it allows you to find a doula who fits your needs/personality. It’s definitely worth the time and research to find the one you want.
Andrea Donaldson Lythgoe – This is the doula who attended my birth. She was very good to work with and is a certified doula. She likes lamaze birth method and teaches natural childbirth classes at St. Marks hospital. She also came to visit me for a postpartum visit.
Kristy Avery Huber – My original doula who helped me during my pregnancy but was not able to attend my birth so she sent Andrea. Kristy was the doula I interviewed with and visited me for my pre-labor visit.
Both are very highly skilled at what they do!
Let me know if you want to talk about childbirth because I could talk about this for hours!
Every year people ask us what we want for Christmas so we thought we could write a letter to the North Pole (or on a blog… haha) and you can let your elves know what’s on our list. Here are the things we want for Christmas and to make it easy for you we put them in their price range. 🙂
FREE to $1.00
- Christmas Card – We would love to hear from you this Christmas! Pictures would be nice too but completely optional! 🙂
- Facebook Post or Email – If a Christmas card is just too hard… no worries! We just want to hear from you!
- Text – No email? We’ll take a Merry Christmas text any time!
- Phone Call – Can you believe it? Talking on a phone… wow what a strange concept. 🙂 Yes we have a land line but you can call our cell if you like!
- Come Visit Us – We’ll be here all Christmas break!
- Read the Book of Mormon – If you tell us that you’ll read the Book of Mormon we’ll be ecstatic! Whether you’ve read it before or haven’t ever… this book changes our lives everyday and we know it will bring much peace and joy to yours too! We know the principles taught in the book are true. It’s free online or we can give you a copy. Seriously… this is the best gift you could ever give us! We would be so happy.
- Something Homemade – You can make us something!
- Home Video – Dallin & May Bo love watching funny home made videos!
- A Vote for Mitt Romney – This would be an awesome Christmas present for us!… Especially if you live in Iowa or knows someone who does!
- Soup Ladle – Ok if you insist on buying something… you can get this at the dollar store. We currently serve our soup with a wooden spoon. 🙂
- Baster – We bake a lot… don’t have a baster.
- Toys – Anything Micah can play with or put in his mouth!
- Your Child: What Every Parent Needs to Know – $3.95 used on Amazon.com (No need to buy a new one! Used is great!)
- Magic Trees of Mind: How to Nurture Your Child’s Intelligence, Creativity, and Healthy Emotions from Birth Through Adolescence – $3.73 used on Amazon.com (No need to buy a new one! Used is great!)
- Your Baby’s First Year: Week by Week – $2.76 used on Amazon.com (No need to buy a new one! Used is great!)
- Small Mouth Canning Lids – May Bo is starting to learn how to can.
- Frisbee – For Dallin to play with his friends.
- Garlic Press – May Bo spends lots of time dicing garlic by hand.
- Parenting with Love & Logic – $9.98 used on Amazon.com (No need to buy a new one! Used is great!)
- Dough Cutter – Something that looks like this where May Bo can scrap dough off of the counter.
- Kitchen Timer – We tend to burn our cookies…
- Tie – For Dallin… baby Micah spits up on his ties. HAHA!
- Biking Glove – Dallin lost one of his glove so if you have one laying around… all we need is one.
- Cooking With Food Storage Made Easy Cookbook – We always need ideas for cooking with food storage and we heard this was a great cook book.
- Carcassonne – Board game… buy this only if you can come play with us! 🙂
- Bang – Card game… we love playing games with our friends! 🙂
- Pandemic – Board game… super fun. Come play with us!
- Ticket to Ride – Board game… Can you tell we like to hang out with our friends?
- Development Toys – Anything for babies over 3 months.
- Restaurant Gift Cards – Dallin likes taking May Bo on dates.
- Good Parenting Books – We need help parenting Micah!
- Norelco 7865XL Shaver Blades – Dallin’s shaver is dull but it might be cheaper to just buy a new shaver.
- Camp Chairs – When we go camping… we sit on a log. 🙂
- Air Mattress – This would motivate May Bo to go camping with Dallin.
- Other Board Games – We currently have Monopoly, Mancala, and Cranium.
- Christmas Decor – We’re collecting for future Christmas. Used is fine! We also know that Christmas Decor goes on sale the day after Christmas. Belated Christmas presents are just fine!
- Christmas Ornament – We only have silver balls. Homemade ones are great!
- Mountain Bike Chain – Dallin’s broke and haven’t been able to ride his bike.
- Canning Supplies – Jars (we hear you can find these at the DI!), we have a starter kit but we don’t have a canner. Our neighbors let us borrow theirs.
- Sugar Free Desserts – Dallin is watching his sugar intake so anything that is made with Splenda, Stevia, or Agave would be a yummy treat for him!
- Any Book by an Apostle of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints – You could probably find this on your book self or find ideas on DeseretBook.com.
Way Too Expensive for Santa or His Elves but No One Said We Couldn’t Dream about it 🙂
- Ipad, or Motorola Xoom, or ASUS Eee Pad– This is purely a dream… “Life is but a dream” 🙂
- New Super Mario Brothers for Wii – Dallin just beat Super Mario Galaxy on the wii and a new video game would be great for stress relieving on Friday nights.
- Dance Dance Revolution II Bundle for Wii – May Bo loves DDR and is a dancing machine!
- Wii Fit Plus Bundle – We’ve borrowed our neighbor’s Wii board for months now. We should probably return it. We love our generous neighbors!
May Bo & Dallin & Micah
PS – We don’t know how Santa will coordinate with his elves but you can leave comments on this blog if you like! What do you want for Christmas?
PPS – Christmas is not just about gifts… it’s about celebrating and remembering the birth of the Savior, Jesus Christ. We give gifts to remind us of the greatest gift we already have which is the atonement of Jesus Christ. “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” John 3:16. We just really want to spend time with friends / family this Christmas. We love you!