At our church we like to do activities to bring the neighborhood together. Last week our ward had had a Chili and Soup Cook-off. This is the High Counselor Choice Award winning Broccoli and Cheese Soup with Bacon from the cook-off! I won a gift certificate for frozen yogurt. Good times! I almost didn’t add the bacon in the soup but my husband said I should. I’m glad I did because the bacon is the only reason why this soup won. HAHA! 🙂
Sorry my picture doesn’t actually have bacon in it… that soup got all eaten before I took a picture of it.
I modified a Broccoli and Cheese Soup Recipe off allrecipes.com.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 onion diced
- 1 pound fresh broccoli head, no stems
- 4 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth
- 1 pound velveeta cheese (original) cubed
- 2 cups milk
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 2/3 cup corn startch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 package of raw bacon
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- In a stockpot, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion in butter until softened. Stir in broccoli, and cover with chicken broth. Simmer until broccoli is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a frying pan cook the bacon on medium-low heat until crispy. Drain excess oil when finish and pat bacon with paper towel. Chop the bacon strips into small pieces. Set aside.
- Reduce heat, and stir in cheese cubes until melted. Mix in milk and garlic powder.
- In a small bowl, stir cornstarch into cold water until dissolved. Stir into soup; cook, stirring frequently, until thick.
- Add the bacon bits and shredded cheese on top at the end.