Dallin and I were recently called to team-teach Gospel Doctrine Sunday School at our church. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is doing the Come Follow Me curriculum. For the year 2020, the entire church is studying The Book of Mormon. I wanted to print out a simple reading schedule and I couldn’t find one anywhere. I spent a long time making this so I thought I could share it online with all of you!
We just recently went to Brigham City Temple Open House. It was absolutely wonderful and beautiful! My baby, Micah, was so interested and intrigued by being inside a temple for the first time. Usually you have to be 12 years old, a baptize member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and receive a temple recommend by your church leaders to go inside a temple. To recieve a temple recommend you have to be striving to keep all of God’s commandments such as paying full tithing, attend church regularly, sustain church leaders, and keep the word of wisdom.
In the Temple worthy members of the church go to make covenants with God. Also in the temple, families are sealed together forever. It’s a place to feel peace and happiness. You go to learn about Jesus Christ and escape from the stress of the world.
The Brigham City Temple has not yet been dedicated and everyone is invited to go inside the temple until September 15, 2012. If you want to go see the temple you can reserve your tickets online. This is something you do not want to miss out on!
I wanted to dress Micah up like a pioneer but then he was tired and didn’t want to smile for his pictures. Oh well this is what I managed to get!
In Utah everyone gets work off for Pioneer Day! There’s a big parade and fireworks in downtown Salt Lake CIty. On July 24, 1987 the first group of Mormon pioneers came in to the Salt Lake Valley. Can you imagine walking 1,200 miles from Nauvoo, Illinois using handcarts? The Mormons were forced to leave Nauvoo because of persecution and ended up in Salt Lake City. Salt Lake City is where the current head quarters of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is. This is a fun holiday for everyone in Utah whether you’re a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or not. It’s kinda like Independence Day for Utahans. Happy Pioneer Day Everyone!
11. We went to Deseret Star Playhouse for Dallin’s Birthday
10. We planted our first garden plot and it produced vegetables!
8. We finally used all our gift cards to decorate our apartment on our first anniversary and went out to dinner at Macaroni Grill (using a gift card). Thanks everyone for the wonderful gift cards!
6. May Bo had an internship programming for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (when she was really pregnant!).
5. We got to act as Mary, Joseph, and Baby Jesus in a Live Nativity at This is the Place Heritage Park.
3. Our Friends/Neighbors – We loved having parties, BBQ, playing racquetball, working out, cooking, playing games, and having fun with our old/new friends!
2. Church Callings – We got to be ordinance workers at the Salt Lake Temple. We are currently ward missionaries. Also, Dallin has a calling in the Elder’s Quorum and May Bo has a calling in the Relief Society. Oh and we love home teaching and visiting teaching, of course!
1. Baby Micah was born and everything other good thing that came along with him!
We’ve done two nights of live nativity at This is the Place Heritage Park during their Candlelight Christmas event. It’s been a really neat experience to have our baby laying in a manger. I can’t imagine giving birth to a baby in a stable. There are real animals in the barn: donkey, sheep, pigs, and goats. It’s pretty stinky but we got used to it throughout the night. Can you imagine that the Savior, Jesus Christ was born in such a humble conditions? There wasn’t even room for them in the inn! We have been surprised about how touched some people are to see a live nativity. We’re also very impressed because 99% of the Children who come see the nativity already know the story of the birth of baby Jesus and they know who Jesus Christ is. They love to see the gifts that the wise men brought for Jesus Christ. What a great experience it has been to work with shepherds and wise men. The Spirit was there throughout the night and Micah glowed like an angel. This experience is reminding us that the reason we celebrate Christmas is to remember the birth of Jesus Christ our Lord. Come see us at the live nativity. We’ll be there two more nights Dec 30 and Dec 27 from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm. There’s also plenty of other Christmas activities to do in the park.
We kept forgetting to bring a camera but a nice lady from New Zealand decided to take our picture and email it to us!
Every year people ask us what we want for Christmas so we thought we could write a letter to the North Pole (or on a blog… haha) and you can let your elves know what’s on our list. Here are the things we want for Christmas and to make it easy for you we put them in their price range. 🙂
FREE to $1.00
- Christmas Card – We would love to hear from you this Christmas! Pictures would be nice too but completely optional! 🙂
- Facebook Post or Email – If a Christmas card is just too hard… no worries! We just want to hear from you!
- Text – No email? We’ll take a Merry Christmas text any time!
- Phone Call – Can you believe it? Talking on a phone… wow what a strange concept. 🙂 Yes we have a land line but you can call our cell if you like!
- Come Visit Us – We’ll be here all Christmas break!
- Read the Book of Mormon – If you tell us that you’ll read the Book of Mormon we’ll be ecstatic! Whether you’ve read it before or haven’t ever… this book changes our lives everyday and we know it will bring much peace and joy to yours too! We know the principles taught in the book are true. It’s free online or we can give you a copy. Seriously… this is the best gift you could ever give us! We would be so happy.
- Something Homemade – You can make us something!
- Home Video – Dallin & May Bo love watching funny home made videos!
- A Vote for Mitt Romney – This would be an awesome Christmas present for us!… Especially if you live in Iowa or knows someone who does!
- Soup Ladle – Ok if you insist on buying something… you can get this at the dollar store. We currently serve our soup with a wooden spoon. 🙂
- Baster – We bake a lot… don’t have a baster.
- Toys – Anything Micah can play with or put in his mouth!
- Your Child: What Every Parent Needs to Know – $3.95 used on Amazon.com (No need to buy a new one! Used is great!)
- Magic Trees of Mind: How to Nurture Your Child’s Intelligence, Creativity, and Healthy Emotions from Birth Through Adolescence – $3.73 used on Amazon.com (No need to buy a new one! Used is great!)
- Your Baby’s First Year: Week by Week – $2.76 used on Amazon.com (No need to buy a new one! Used is great!)
- Small Mouth Canning Lids – May Bo is starting to learn how to can.
- Frisbee – For Dallin to play with his friends.
- Garlic Press – May Bo spends lots of time dicing garlic by hand.
- Parenting with Love & Logic – $9.98 used on Amazon.com (No need to buy a new one! Used is great!)
- Dough Cutter – Something that looks like this where May Bo can scrap dough off of the counter.
- Kitchen Timer – We tend to burn our cookies…
- Tie – For Dallin… baby Micah spits up on his ties. HAHA!
- Biking Glove – Dallin lost one of his glove so if you have one laying around… all we need is one.
- Cooking With Food Storage Made Easy Cookbook – We always need ideas for cooking with food storage and we heard this was a great cook book.
- Carcassonne – Board game… buy this only if you can come play with us! 🙂
- Bang – Card game… we love playing games with our friends! 🙂
- Pandemic – Board game… super fun. Come play with us!
- Ticket to Ride – Board game… Can you tell we like to hang out with our friends?
- Development Toys – Anything for babies over 3 months.
- Restaurant Gift Cards – Dallin likes taking May Bo on dates.
- Good Parenting Books – We need help parenting Micah!
- Norelco 7865XL Shaver Blades – Dallin’s shaver is dull but it might be cheaper to just buy a new shaver.
- Camp Chairs – When we go camping… we sit on a log. 🙂
- Air Mattress – This would motivate May Bo to go camping with Dallin.
- Other Board Games – We currently have Monopoly, Mancala, and Cranium.
- Christmas Decor – We’re collecting for future Christmas. Used is fine! We also know that Christmas Decor goes on sale the day after Christmas. Belated Christmas presents are just fine!
- Christmas Ornament – We only have silver balls. Homemade ones are great!
- Mountain Bike Chain – Dallin’s broke and haven’t been able to ride his bike.
- Canning Supplies – Jars (we hear you can find these at the DI!), we have a starter kit but we don’t have a canner. Our neighbors let us borrow theirs.
- Sugar Free Desserts – Dallin is watching his sugar intake so anything that is made with Splenda, Stevia, or Agave would be a yummy treat for him!
- Any Book by an Apostle of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints – You could probably find this on your book self or find ideas on DeseretBook.com.
Way Too Expensive for Santa or His Elves but No One Said We Couldn’t Dream about it 🙂
- Ipad, or Motorola Xoom, or ASUS Eee Pad– This is purely a dream… “Life is but a dream” 🙂
- New Super Mario Brothers for Wii – Dallin just beat Super Mario Galaxy on the wii and a new video game would be great for stress relieving on Friday nights.
- Dance Dance Revolution II Bundle for Wii – May Bo loves DDR and is a dancing machine!
- Wii Fit Plus Bundle – We’ve borrowed our neighbor’s Wii board for months now. We should probably return it. We love our generous neighbors!
May Bo & Dallin & Micah
PS – We don’t know how Santa will coordinate with his elves but you can leave comments on this blog if you like! What do you want for Christmas?
PPS – Christmas is not just about gifts… it’s about celebrating and remembering the birth of the Savior, Jesus Christ. We give gifts to remind us of the greatest gift we already have which is the atonement of Jesus Christ. “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” John 3:16. We just really want to spend time with friends / family this Christmas. We love you!